Wednesday, June 4, 2008 at 6:00AM
- Everyone, whether on purpose or not, chooses a color scheme in their home. When choosing your colors, it is so tempting to go with the current "trend." For one thing, that is what you find when you go shopping. All of the accessories at Crate and Barrel, Pottery Barn, and Restoration Hardware, seem to tell you what colors to choose. When light blue is popular, that is what you see everywhere to purchase. This heavy marketing, also makes us "like" these colors. What's wrong with this? Nothing. Especially if you can afford to re-decorate every 5 to 7 years. However, I feel like the best Interior Design is timeless. When you look at a home, and cannot tell when it was decorated, that is good design. Was it last month, last year, or ten years ago? On the flip side, when you see a home with a country blue and peach thing going on- you know it's been around since the 80's. Jewel tones- the 90's. And in 10 years, we will look back and know that the multiple shades of blues and green depicts this time. How do you pull away from the marketing all around us, and select a truly "timeless" color scheme? Or, do you want to?
Which personality are you?
- Stylish Susan You like to follow the trends and keep your home looking right out of the latest magazine. So go ahead, decorate with the current trend if you want to- but leave your big expensive items out of it. Get a fabulous, neutral sofa, with some timeless leather chairs, and add your color in your paint and accessories. Sure you'll be re-decorating every 5 years, or 1 year, or maybe even every season, but you love to shop, and like a fresh look in your home. (photo from Pottery Barn)
- Traveling Tess You like to travel. Do you have a favorite place? Italy? The Virgin Islands (my favorite!), Paris? Use a city or location as color pallet. What do you picture when you picture the place? When thinking of Italy do you picture terra cotta colored roofs, white stucco, and blue water? That- is a great color pallet! Go with it! If you love it- it will never go out of style. (photo from Architectural Digest)
- Collecting Chris You have a collection, (or two), that you love! Maybe it is Vintage Coke, Wedgwood plates, African art, traffic signs, whatever! Take you blue and white plates, add a little red and yellow if you like, and you have a fabulous, timeless, color combination.
Art Fan Ann. Do you have a favorite artist or painting? If you don't already- go to some galleries, fall in love with a painting, and so doing, find your color scheme.
- Outdoor Olivia You love to hike, and bike ride. You are happiest outside. Your perfect vacation is backpacking in Yosemite, or cliff climbing in southern Utah. Take one of your favorite places, and translate the colors of the leaves and water into walls and furniture.
- Neutral Nancy- No one said you have to use color at all. A neutral pallet, whether warm or cool (like the photo at the very top), will always be a timeless choice. You like to keep it neutral and add your interest with textures and different shades.
Give it some thought. Choose your color scheme- don't let it choose you!
For more great T's go to Mrs Nesbitt's Place.