Entries in form and space (2)
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!
Form = pieces of furniture, plants, etc
Space- the area in between furniture
Don’t line furniture against walls.
- Get some graph paper.
- Draw a "to scale" plan of your room.
- Include windows, doorways, fireplace, etc.
Get some darker paper, and cut out some furniture. Try out a few basic groupings on your floor plan.
- L- shape- this is what you already have- do not do one like this. But a different sectional might work- don't rule it out. Pull it away from the walls, and have the long portion sit parallel to the firelace.
- U shape- this would be like a sofa, with a chair on either side of it.
- Box shape- this would be a sofa, with a chair on either side, and also two ottomans in front of the fireplace.
- Circular- an example of this would be four comfortable chairs with a round ottoman or table in the center of them.
- Parallel- This is the best grouping for emphasizing focal point- it frames focal point. An example woud be two sofas across from one another.
Play with it, figure out what size of furniture would work best for your area- then go shopping! Be careful of size. Looking for a "Tuscan" feel especially, the furniture is sometimes over-sized. take your floorplan with you- make sure you select furniture that is a good proportion for your room.
I would find out what company did the built-ins, and have them make a couple more doors to cover up your TV whole- otherwise, it will invariably look like a TV spot without a TV in it.
Check out these posts on fireplace mantles. Your fireplace is the focal point of the room, spend some time and money on it. This iss a good place to start- select a great piece of art- like the one at the top of the post- Red Poppy Panorama, by Lombardi. This gives you a pallet to select other colors for your rug and fabrics from.
Be sure to incorporate the colors from your kitchen area, as they are open to each other- they should have a good flow.
For more ABC Wednesday, check out Mrs. Nesbitt's place: http://abcwednesdayround3.blogspot.com/
Good luck Leigh, thanks for writing in!